When we talk about the Center for Social Entrepreneurship, we have to talk about the amazing Bill and Lillian M. Cooley Youth Entrepreneurship and Tech Center. This facility has it all from state-of-the-art classrooms to a wellness studio to a hydroponic garden. Housed in the iVillage in the heart of West Jackson, this building brings together the community for some of the most engaging programs we’re going to discuss here in May 2023’s Program Spotlight!
The Mission and Vision
The Center for Social Entrepreneurship has set out to empower youth to generate intergenerational wealth by
- eliminating blight,
- harnessing talent,
- growing businesses, and
- engaging civically
through a community-led transformation with a focus on community-based sustainability.
By doing this, they can make their vision of creating an affordable, healthy, and safe community come to fruition. “ It is a place where everyone wants to live, is valued, and feels they belong. It is the best of who we are.”
This program has got a lot going on for the community. Here are some of the initiatives they have brought to the table for everyone:
- Community Engagement Initiatives: include SunDay FunDay and Seniors to the Polls to ensure that there is space for fun as well as civic duty in the community.
- Economic Engagement Initiatives: Through Intergenerational Wealth Creation and Workforce Development, the Center for Social Entrepreneurship builds and networks resources to supply unmet needs in the community.
- Education Engagement Initiatives: include Girls Code, Create, Connect, and the iVillage Afterschool Program which provide an essential child-centered learning environment for youth.
- Health Engagement Initiatives: such as their Hydroponic Garden or Youth Sports Program seek to address the social determinants of health in their community to provide better outcomes.
- Housing Engagement Initiatives: including Tax Roll Addition and Student Housing makes their community somewhere people want to live and grows the value and knowledge of the members who live there.
Coming up this summer, CSE is hosting ESTEAM summer camp. A FREE summer camp open to fourth and fifth graders. Entrepreneurship, Science, Technology, Engineering, Athletics, Arts, and Math are the subject areas covered while including field trips and creative showcases on this adventure, you don’t want your kids to miss.
The Center for Social Entrepreneurship offers so much to its youth and participants in Jackson. It’s no wonder that their excellence has landed them this month’s spotlight. Thank you, CSE for holding a special place in the community and in the hearts of so many of the neighborhood. You’re empowering each individual to create a better tomorrow for everyone. Check out their website here: https://www.cse-ms.org/